Setting up the integrated email tool: Account Administrator(s)
This article explains how to do the initial set up of the integrated email tool inside idibu if you are the Account Administrator. This is necessary before any other users can set up the email tool on their accounts.
We have another article that outlines setting up the integrated email tool for non-admin users. If you are not the account administrator, then follow this link.
About integrated email
The integrated email tool works in much the same way as any 'email client' you attach your email account to via IMAP and SMTP. If you're not familiar with those terms, it's simply a way of connecting your email account with another mail hosting tool like Macmail or Thunderbird on a computer, or a mail app you have downloaded and installed on a mobile phone.
The key benefit is that it allows you to create and send emails to candidates (singularly or in bulk) from inside idibu, but using your own email. Any emails you send will appear in the candidate notes, but will also appear as normal in your email sent items. You can also set up the integrated email tool so that any replies are also recorded in the candidate notes.
In this article we will cover:
- Accessing your integrated email settings
- Set up steps if you are an account administrator (global settings for all users)
Accessing your integrated email settings
1. Go to 'Settings' then click on 'Integrated email'.
2. If you do not see 'Integrated email' listed in the settings drop down list go to 'Manage plugins and addons' and activate the integrated email plugin.
Setting up the email tool, step by step.
If you are an idibu account administrator, you will need to complete the following steps before any other user can set up and use their own email. This is because there are some global settings you need to configure which will apply to all users.
NOTE: Although you will be asked for your email credentials including password, those will be applied exclusively to your user account. They won't be applied to other user accounts, but other settings you select in this process will be.
Let's go through these step by step from the top of the page:
1. 'Outbound email mode only (hides webmail interface)' - Yes or No.
No: The default option is 'No', which means that both outgoing mail and mail will be recorded automatically in your candidate notes (although you can still change this with another setting). It also means the idibu email interface is activated so that you can check all your mail from inside idibu if you need to.
Yes: This means that only outgoing mail can be logged inside your candidate records, and that the email interface is hidden.
NOTE: If you set the above option to 'Yes' some of the fields described below will be hidden.
2. 'Email' - yep, you guessed it. This field requires your email address, but you should find this has been automatically populated with the email on your user profile.
3. 'Incoming login' - this may be your email or a different username depending on how your email has been set up. If in doubt, your email address is most likely the correct option and again, we automatically populate this field with your email.
4. 'Password' - this is your EMAIL PASSWORD. Please note this field is NOT requesting your idibu password.
5. 'Incoming mail host' and 'Port'. If you are unsure where to look for this information or what is required here, we explain these and the similar settings below in this article. (We'd encourage you to read that, but if you are using Outlook.com or Office 365 OR Gmail or Gmail for business, then these pages will also be invaluable).
6. 'Use SSL': This will depend on whether your incoming mail server supports SSL. If you are unsure, again the article mentioned in point 5. will assist you here.
7. 'Outgoing login' and 'Outgoing password'. These will be the same details you provided in steps 3 and 4.
8. 'Outgoing mail host' and 'Port'. The outgoing mail host will look similar to the format of the incoming host, but please note it is not the same. Be careful to input the correct details here for both the 'Outgoing mail host' and the three digit 'Port' number.
9. 'Use SSL' and 'Use outgoing authentication'. Again, this will depend on the settings required by your email provider in the case of SSL, or those selected within your actual email settings. Again, we provide some further information here if you are unsure.
10. SYSTEM WIDE SETTINGS > ''Make email links use webmail as default client'. Setting this to 'Yes' means that the integrated email interface will appear whenever an email link is clicked on inside a candidate record. If you set this to no, then clicking the candidate's email address should prompt your normal email host to open - although please note this may depend on other variables with your IT set up and is not fully within our control as a result.
11. SYSTEM WIDE SETTINGS > "Allow automatic import of emails into candidates". If in step 1 you chose to activate the email interface so all your emails can be managed through our email client tool, BUT you don't want all incoming mail to be recorded against candidate records, then select 'No' from the drop down list. Otherwise, select 'Yes'.
12. When you have completed all the settings, click 'Save'.
Important: If you are using email by Google, you may also need to update your account's security settings.